Tooth decay often begins at an early age, making young children particularly susceptible. Nearly half of 2-11-year-olds have experienced tooth decay while 32% of kids between 9 -11 years old display cavities in their permanent teeth. Major contributing factors to this public health problem include baby formula with added sugar and heavily-sugared fruit juices. Even breast milk can cause cavities in baby teeth because of the natural sugars present.
Care for baby teeth should begin as soon as the first tooth appears. We recommend that you bring your child in for an exam no later than his or her first birthday. And regular six-month checkups from then on will put kids on a similar schedule to most adults. We can monitor your child for dental problems while customizing preventive coaching to fit specific conditions.
As a parent, some early steps can help guard your child against tooth decay, even before the first dental visit:
- Your baby's teeth should always be flushed with water or wiped down with a damp cloth after feeding, especially before they fall asleep. Milk or formula residue left in the mouth can promote decay even in the youngest patients. Untreated cavities can eventually lead to pain and infection.
- Try to wean your child off breastfeeding or bottled milk by age one year. This effort helps avoid decay and minimizes the chance of jaw growth problems from excessive sucking.
- Begin brushing as soon as the first tooth appears. Even a small piece of tooth showing can develop a cavity. Start by brushing with a soft bristled brush and water, and ask your dentist when it's ok to begin using a small amount of toothpaste.
- Once your child is old enough to begin brushing on his or her own, continue to monitor their brushing, going back to clean any areas they may have missed.
- Don't give bottles of sugary drinks or milk before bedtime
- Use a straw with sugary beverages to allow the teeth to have less contact with the liquid.
- Try to limit the overall sugary foods your child eats and drinks.
Clean & Comfortable Environment
Honest & Affordable Dentistry
Comprehensive Care in One Location
Personalized Treatment Plans
“Wonderful atmosphere and caring professionals. I've been going there for two years now and have had good experiences (I hate having dental work done!)”- Valerie Topp
“Worked well with my schedule and allowed me to make choices about the care I needed.”- Sharon Reynolds
“I really enjoyed my visit to Gilmer Family Dental. The staff was very friendly, Dr. Palmer was outstanding. He was meticulous and careful, concerned with my comfort, and got right to the point and took care of my problem. I highly recommend them.”- Tony Stubbs
“I was really nervous going in... But walking out I was very pleased with how everything was handled and how friendly the staff is! And today they called and checked on me which I like also!!!! I would highly recommend Gilmer Family Dental!”- Emily Chambers
“These skilled, gentle, professionals are amazing. After years of dodging the dentist, they are getting me fixed up and I cannot recommend them enough!”- Amanda Melton